http://www.makepovertyhistory.org A rhapsody~* of serendipity: The Art of Living

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The Art of Living

Living is an art, because art is about knowing what mistakes we need to learn from and move on, and what mistakes to keep.

I guess when they say this, they are talking about the artistic process of a painter, when he (well, most famous ones are male) dabs a little too much of that awfully bright pink paint on those….clouds and presto! We have given birth to a some new neo-classical chapter in the “Art Appreciation for Beginners”. Perhaps that’s also how Gaudi came to have all those wavy patterns on his balconies and marzapine-like houses. My own version would of course be in a more musical sense, so it would involve a flat sounding C note on the sax, which stumbled on to a series of chromatic scales downwards, missing a few notes here and there.

Enough on romantics…

Mistakes. Here is my two major ones in the last 5 years which I am keeping:

Mistake number one: Being totally blur about my future at the age of eighteen and submitting it to whatever that comes. This is a mistake I intend (and am forced) to keep. I was capricious, moving from genetic engineering (because it was a really new thing and sounded cool), medicine(because I liked my Biology teacher and the sweep of inspiration to make a change by serving as a overworked underpaid civil servant….yeah well, Hui Woon was like that since then), actuarial science, management, business administration(the last ones came because I knew I have a tact and interest for management and actuarial science was deemed to make more use of my toils in the science stream). Above all, I knew very strongly that I wanted to study abroad. But since I was like a fallen leave getting swept down by the river flow, I found myself staring at the gates of UTM in no time. Entering those gates, I remember vividly how I made a pact with myself. I was going to learn as much as possible, make the best out of everything no matter what. So as a mistake I kept, I am who I am today.

Mistake number two: Next mistake is like a Jengga block of mistakes. How the final blow was built slowly on one circumstance on top of another, and eventually if you took out a piece of it recklessly, it would just topple mercilessly. I took Orchestra as Ko-Q without registering. I dropped a subject or two. I went on lucrative adventures in the management faculty. I took the word of someone too easily. This is how I broke perhaps another record….one of the few Chinese students who are taking a sixth year in Chemical Engineering. This eleventh semester however gave me a lot of time to think, to contemplate, to question myself, to plan and execute my next move. I’ve found what I needed, and it is indeed a very blissful feeling to have the conviction of knowing the “what” and “how” of your life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


*hugs* received!
+~*'*' give ME a *HUG* '*'*~+

Get hugs of your own
..